Thursday, October 29, 2009

An Interview With Halloween Hooligan, Jambrea Jones!

Welcome Readers and Writers!

I’m here today with one of eXtasy Books Halloween Hooligan’s author Jambrea Jones.

It’s great to have your here, Jambrea.


At what age did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I was about ten or eleven.

What has been your biggest influence on becoming a writer?

Just reading. I’ve always had a pretty active imagination and while I read I thought, ‘I could do this.’

How did you feel when you got your first publishing contract?

OMG! I was a screaming mess. Lol We were on vacation when I got my first yes, followed by my first no. lol So it was a very up and down moment. I know I cried.

How many novellas/novels have you published to date? When did you have your first sale?

I have three published to date with one release a month until the end of the year. My first sale was 8/23/2008. Wow, that really isn’t that long ago. LOL! It feels like forever.

Tell me about your upcoming release. Please include if it is part of a series or a stand alone book.

My next release is with eXtasy and it is called Unseen Path. It is book one in my Silar series and will be released Oct. 31st.

What was your inspiration for this book?

I entered a Halloween contest last year on the Seven Wicked Writers blog. I was one of the finalists and was offered a contract. At the time, I only had to write 500 words so I really had to think about what I wanted to do.

How do you categorize yourself: pantser or plotter?

A pantser all the way.

How do you handle the editing/revision process?

I LOVE editing. I am someone who thinks edits only make my baby better.

You’re received some fantastic reviews...how do you feel about them and why?

I love reviews. I was a reviewer myself and realize that reviews are only one person’s opinion. I’ll take the good with the bad. I’ve been very fortunate so far, for sure. I know I’ll cry at my first bad review, but I’ll pick myself up, re read the review and see if there is something can do to make my writing stronger.

Did anything odd happen while you were researching this story?

Not really. It would have been cool if it did though because it IS a Halloween story.

Do comments or letters you receive from fans and other writers influence you in any way?

Always. If they have a suggestion to make me a better writer, I take it. I have one person, Rhonda, who tells me to write longer..so I’m trying. LOL! She tells me it is because she always wants more. She also has a couple she really likes, so I’m going to try to do more with them. Of course, I know you can’t please everyone, but If I can use the idea or it helps, you’d better believe I’ll let it influence me. I have someone, who is now a friend, T, who wants a story line written, so I’m going to try and work on that for her. We’ll see how that one goes. LOL!

Is your family a constant source of interruption when you’re writing or are there ground rules?

I should have ground rules, but I don’t. My five year old comes first. I usually always have a story open on my computer, but if he needs something, I take care of it. I try to do my writing when he is asleep.

Is humor important in today’s women’s fiction?

Humor is ALWAYS important. I think laughing makes a person healthy. I know that I love to read a book laced with humor.

What’s the first thing that comes to you: the story, the setting or the characters.

The first thing that comes to me is an idea and then the characters form. I have to have character names before I can really dig into the story. The setting is a back drop for me. My focus is usually the characters.

Do your characters take over the story? My characters take over every chance they get.

I think it is because I’m a pantser. I let them dictate what I write. To me they are the most important part. I like to think all my stories are character driving.

Where can readers find out more about you and your work?

http://www.jambrea.com/

http://internationalheat.wordpress.com/

http://jambrea.wordpress.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heat_Wave_Readers/?yguid=80421025

Jambrea’s Bio:

Jambrea wanted to be the youngest romance author published, but life impeded the dreams. She put her writing aside and went to college briefly, then enlisted in the Air Force. After serving in the military, she returned home to Indiana to start her family. A few years later, she discovered yahoo groups and book reviews. There was no turning back. She was bit by the writing bug.

She enjoys spending time with her son when not writing and loves to receive reader feedback. She’s addicted to the internet so feel free to email her anytime.

Thanks for taking part in my 2 for Thursday promotion. I had a great time with the Hooligan!

Lynn

12 comments:

  1. Jambrea! Great interview! You got a yes and a no while on vacation?? That's incredible and now look at you! Go girl, love your work.

    Keep writing!

    hugs, billi jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jambrea,

    I like the sound of your new book coming this weekend. :) Great interview.
    Raine Delight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jambrea,
    Just had to scoot on over and say Hello! Great interview! Looking forward to checking out your new release!

    Congratulations by the way on the new release!

    Happy Samhain! Happy Halloween!

    Happy Reading!!!
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the interview. Thanks for taking the time to visit!

    I look forward in reading your works.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anna & Tracey :D

    I enjoyed doing the interview. They are always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jambrea,
    I am so pleased to see your progress When you submitted your flash fiction story to our contest I knew you had a fantastic story and you put the work into making it a novel. When it releases tomorrow night, I know you'll have a huge hit on your hands!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jambrea! I know that no was a lot easier to handle when balanced out with a yes, right? lol

    Deidre

    ReplyDelete