Thursday, October 22, 2009

An Interview with Raine Delight


I am here today with the wonderful Raine Delight. She’s the author of the fantastic Devon Falls series and I feel lucky to have hooked her for an interview. Help me to welcome, Raine!


At what age did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I was always a reader and loved books from an early age. After I got into reviewing and chatting with authors/publishers, I was encouraged to put my ideas on paper and voila! My writing career went off. :-)

What has been your biggest influence on becoming a writer?

Oh man, I think many of my favorite authors influenced me. I loved how a story can keep you entertained while having the reader fall in love with the characters. To me, a good author is one that tells a story that sucks a reader in and keeps them wondering after the last page is read.

How did you feel when you got your first publishing contract?

I was dancing on the ceiling. *laughs* I was over the moon and thrilled to pieces then I started the next book. :-)

How many novellas/novels have you published to date? When did you have your first sale?

I have four with a fifth one coming on Oct. 9th from Aspen Mountain Press. I had my first contract in 2006 then it just snowballed from there with publishers closing down and such. I love AMP because they have a top notch team that ranges from editors to cover artists.

Tell me about your latest release. Please include if it is part of a series or a stand alone book.

Haunting Magic is the next book in my Devon Falls series. This is book four and follows Rodrick Dracon, a wolf shifter who finds himself ready to finally settle down with his chosen mate except the one woman he finds is his mate is not the one he expects at all. Jaxon Sinclair is aggravating and just plain drives him insane but he is drawn to her like a moth is to a flame. Can he tame this hellcat before the Samhain Moon hits on Halloween or will he turn the tables and tame the wolf?

The Devon Falls Series is as follows:

1) Sticky Magic (found in Babes in Toyland II Anthology)
2) Red Hot Magic
3) Fiery Magic

What was your inspiration for this book?

Rod was a hoot in Fiery Magic when he was giving his twin a hard time but then I got thinking, what happens when this foot loose playboy found himself on the receiving end of destiny’s desires. I loved the way Jax was a woman who was feisty, determined to not fall for Rod and in the end, they both find their hearts desires.

How do you categorize yourself: pantser or plotter?

I am a pantser all the way. I can not plot for the life of me. *sighs*

How do you handle the editing/revision process?

I mumble, swear and basically go at it with my head barely banging the desk in frustration. *laughs* Seriously, I do it though it is the hardest part for me to do since I have to see it through my editor’s eyes and it is hard for me to switch caps, so to speak.

You’re received some fantastic reviews...how do you feel about them and why?

I absolutely freaking love it. LOL They mean the world to me and frankly, to know readers enjoyed my work is the best thing to my ears.

Did anything odd happen while you were researching this story?

Not really. Most of my work is pure imagination though in future books, I am doing extensive research on a few subjects. :-)

How do you get your ideas for your stories? Do they come all at one or in bits and pieces over a period of time?

Actually it depends. I recently read an article on gamma rays and the possibility of it hitting earth in a science article online and it got the muse thinking and then next thing I knew, a new series opened up in Sci fi/futuristic. Then I am intrigued by the BDSM world and with my love of all things paranormal, I combined the two to make up a cool paranormal club called Club Fantasy.I normally get the blurbs and the characters then they eventually tell me the story they want to tell. Some days it is easier, other days it is harder.

Who and what are you reading now?

Oh man, I have so many books it isn’t funny. I currently am reading LL Foster’s Servant: The Kindred (which is really good) and then next up is: Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Bad Moon Rising, JR Ward’s Lover Avenged, CE Murphy’s Walking Dead (book 5 in Walker series) and then on the e-reader, I am currently reading Lynn Crain’s More Than Robotics, Kayelle Allen’s Surrender: Love, Space Escapes Anthology and many more.

Where are you going from here?

Right now I am lining up projects for 2010. I have two deadlines to meet for a December book and a Valentine book for AMP then I can concentrate on three projects that I am determined to finish.

Your favorite dessert? Your favorite city? Your favorite season? Your favorite hero type? Your favorite heroine type?

My favorite dessert is cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory, especially the White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle one. YUM!

Favorite Season is either spring or fall. I like the way the earth restores itself in the spring and gets ready to sleep in the fall.

Favorite hero: I love those vulnerable alpha males who act all strong but have a heart of gold around their mate(s).

Favorite Heroine: One who isn’t wimpy or whiny. I can not stand those heroines who need tobe rescued every single page and frankly it bores me. I like a woman who kick’s butt and even though she doesn’t need aman to rescue her, she loves being pampered and taken care of by her mate(s).

What’s the easiest book you’ve ever written? The hardest? The most fun?

The easiest was Sticky Magic. It took one week to write, a month to edit and tweak. Then the hard parts came- spin offs that had me growing the town around the stories of Devon Falls.

Hardest? It might be Club Fantasy. It is a BDSM club so I am researching everything I can on it and making sure I use the correct words/phrases in there.

Fun? I think I loved the way Jaxon and Rod interact in Haunting Magic. It was fun to see how Jax stood up to Rod even though he made her knees weak with longing. :-)

Where can readers find out more about you and your work? (List them all.)

Website/blog: http://authorrainedelight.com/

My Space: www.myspace.com/raine_delight

Twitter: www.twitter.com/Raine_Delight

Reader’s loop: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Author_Raine_Delight

Newsletter only loop: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RaineDelightNewsletter/

Raine's Bio:  Raine Delight is a pseudonym of a self professed book lover and after one too many TSTL characters, decided to see if she could write something a little better. Well many drafts later, Devon Falls series came to fruition. It was originally was to be one book but somehow ended up to 4 with a 5th one being planned for sometime in 2009. I write a paranormal contemporary series for Aspen Mountain and I am also branching out to other genres as I continue to listen to the voices in my head. Check out my book pages to see what is going on with me.

Personal notes: I live with my own boy toy and two kids. I love Johnny Depp and find that some of the weirdest things can inspire me. My muse is a male nut who likes to leave me to go sip mai-tais on the beach and leave me foundering for words; though eventually he takes pity on me and gets my words flowing and characters start settling down.

Thanks for taking part in my 2 for Thursday promotion. I’ve enjoyed having you, Raine!

Lynn

5 comments:

  1. I love this cover!! This series is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raine,

    I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading Haunting Magic. I loved the scorching chemistry between Rod and Jax! I adored the sex!!! I can't wait to start reading about all the other residents of Devon Falls. I'm totally addicted!!!

    Happy Reading!!!
    Anna Shah Hoque
    s7anna@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recenlty discovered Raine and look forward in reading her works.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain ur work rocks as always and the cover is amazing just wanted to stop byand tell you that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow guys thanks fcomments. Sorry for the late reply here. Been out of town all weekend dealing with family issues.

    I loved writing this one though Ihave to say this cover ROCKS!!! LOL

    I hope you enjoy Devon Falls. Itis truly a special place inm y mind or it could be all the voices in my head wantingme to go away. Not sure what it is yet. *shrugs happily*

    Raine Delight

    ReplyDelete