Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Day Before I Leave

I’m preparing to go to a conference tomorrow. And I just can’t wait! LOL!

See, conferences are one of my guilty pleasures when I can afford them. I love to go for the networking, the book signings and all the other fun things that come along with a conference. And this time I’m taking a good friend with me, so we plan to have loads of fun.

The only real work I’m doing while there is I am going to have a pitch session with and agent and maybe an editor while I’m there. I entered their attendees only contest and we won’t learn just who are finalists or winners until we register. And the suspense is killing me. LOL!

At any rate, the book I showed you yesterday is the one that I am pitching the whole weekend. So I decided I’d take a pitch class. Again. Yes, I take classes just like all of you because even after twenty published books, I get nervous. Very nervous sometimes and this is one of them for some reason.

All I can think is that I’ve let family take priority here for the past four months and I’m out of practice. Pitching is something you have to do in order to keep sharp at it. So, I took an elevator pitch class from a wonderful author Carrie Lofty. And she’s wonderful. In just five days, I’ve gone from having a pitch that was 116 words long to this nice 35 word one. What do you think?

Tightly wound US lawyer lets go for one night in an Edinburgh pub and is tempted to stay by her ex-lover, a sexy successful Scot, who has stolen her underwear to display as his trophy.

Now this one may not be the one I finally use but it’s a long way from this one:

Aeryn DeLancie has a major problem when she wakes up with a hangover, no underwear and her best friend giving her a knowing smile. It goes from bad to worse when she’s told by said friend that ‘The Stud’ has them with the ‘them’ being her missing underwear. She remembers the stud all too well as her post graduate school fling in Scotland. And if truth be told, she can’t help but remember him as he is the only man she has ever loved. In a quandary as to what to do, she is suspicious when her friend, Monica, states that nothing happened between the two and hands her a napkin with his address on it. (116 words)

Or this one:

When table dancing corporate lawyer, Aeryn Delancie, tries to retrieve her stolen underwear from millionaire ex-lover, Logan MacKenzie, she gets more than she bargained for...two weeks in his bed. With secrets on both sides, they must decide if they can overcome the past to forge a new future. (48 words)

With each one, you can tell I’m getting better. It’s like falling off a horse or riding a back. You never forget it once you do it. LOL!

Since I don’t leave until Thursday, drop by and tell me all what you think of my 35 word pitch (the first one)...do you think it might make the cut?

See you tomorrow!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment