Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Editor

In all the time, I’ve written this blog, there has been little said about the editor who will actually work with you to complete your dream of becoming published.

I’ll be honest with you, I’ve heard horror stories. The one bestseller who told me her editor dumped sixty percent of her work wasn’t thrilled but she loved her editor. The editor really only wants the best for you and your work. After all, your success is their success.

When it happens and you have a horrible editor which you can’t work with, you need to let someone know at the publishing company if at all possible. Sometimes, it isn’t so you must do your best to continue to work with someone who wants to change everything about you and your story.

My pet peeve has always been when they want to change your voice or how you write. There are certain things which distinctly make a writer who they are. Normally, there is a certain process a writer takes from start to finish. When those things happen, it’s hard to work with that person.

I have been lucky enough to work with some fantastic editors in my time. Some have bled all over the page and I’ve cried my heart out only to have a better book at the end. Some have very little changes but allow me to explore what’s needed to make the work better. All in all, I can truthfully say each and every one of them had in mind to produce the best product ever.

Today’s quote is from an editor. When I saw it, I knew it told me their side of the story.

You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what's burning inside you. And we edit to let the fire show through the smoke. ~Arthur Polotnik

Have a great day writing and reading! See you all tomorrow!

Lynn

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    Another great post and quote.
    Valuable posts for writers.
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the quote at the end.
    Great reading. Glad I popped over now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand both sides of this...it is nice when writer and editor can see eye to eye I am sure. susan L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn,

    Great post. I totally hear you on editors and I have to admit I had some wonderful ones and some that were not so wonderful. Great post.

    Raine D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,

    Thanks! Like I've said before I really do love helping other writers and if something I say helps them then I've done my job.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Margaret!

    It's been fun finding all the quotes!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan,

    It is nice when they are on the same page. Sometimes it doesn't happen that way and I feel for both author and editor.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raine,

    Yes, we can get all kinds of editors. Like I said, I've been pretty lucky so far.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jocelyn,

    I liked it too. Thanks for stopping by!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete