Wednesday, August 26, 2015

My So-Called Writing Life ~ @oddlynn3 #LynnCrain #amplanning



Yes, I’m late…again…but at least I totally didn’t forget or ignore or whatever it is I do sometimes. However, I am going to do a little bit of a cop out this week. See, I wrote a great article my group blog, Through Heart Shaped Glasses, that I should just move over to here and post it again.

But I don’t like doing that at all since I want every blog to be new and fresh. Well…sort of…that is. But then again, I don’t like reinventing the wheel and that’s more likely to be the reason than anything. Still, the information presented in this post End of Summer Funk is exactly what is happening in my writing life.

That blog is all about planning and how I need to do it to keep on track. I’ve been re-evaluating just how I’ve become successful at what I do. Since I’ve moved to Europe, I haven’t been that way at all. It seems like every word is a struggle, every book a major accomplishment. It didn’t used to be that way and I want to go back to where I was before I moved.

So I had to sit down and think about it. What had I done that was different? There were many days I wrote over 5000 words a day and now, I’m lucky if I can eek out 500 words a day. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do have moments of brilliance where I do more. I actually wrote a whole 80k book in a month late last year that really killed me on many fronts.

See, I had to trash most of it and start anew. And this was the second book in a series that is currently with my agent. I was spurred on by two great groups of writers that I work with: one is a critique group and the other my word challenge competition group where we are accountable for the number of words we write daily.

I love both those groups and they are the first people I feel I’m letting down when I’m not at my best. The heatwaves this summer didn’t help but they did get me thinking a lot as I was binging on Netflix. It started me reading writing books, thinking about taking classes and tons more stuff that I used to do when I was so prolific. Things by Rachel Aaron (2k to 10k), James Scott Bell (How to Make a Living as a Writer), Kristine Kathryn Rusch (The Write Attitude) and Steve Windsor (Authorphobia). All very diverse and interesting books on writing and an author’s journey.

A lot of what you’ll be seeing in the next few months will be me applying principles I’ve learned that will work for me. And planning, lots of planning, which I will be sharing with you all to see if any of it might be helpful to you.

See you all next week. Until then…


Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment