Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Perpetual Pendulum


Have you ever noticed just how fast time seems to fly when you’re busy? Or how it drags when you’re doing something you hate?

Yesterday morning I woke up with all sorts of plans on what I had to do as I had a talk at Talking Two Lips site. I started with Twitter, then moved on to email. I had a fun filled two hours with the few who showed up at Talking Two Lips. Then I decided I had to work on those pesky essays of my son so he could get into the local university. Thank goodness I was only doing the editing portion but I think they are crazy to think and 18 year old kid can write anything in a hundred words or less. Who are they kidding? LOL!

Somewhere in there, I had breakfast, lunch and dinner...then..bang. It’s already eleven o’clock at night and I realized I didn’t even get my bare minimum in for writing. Friday either. Well, Friday I had an excuse as we looked at houses. Since we live in the area where the repossessions have hit the highest numbers ever, we thought maybe it was time to look at getting a larger one with a pool. This is to accommodate my family as I have an aging father as well as two grandsons I would love stay over sometimes.

But what was today’s excuse? I could have said it was the curse words that greeted me as I pulled myself out of sleep this morning. My youngest had sprained his ankle bad and that caused me to get up then call our doctor immediately. The moment his foot hit the ground when getting out of his Dad’s car, I knew something was up. It also got me to listening half to him and not enough to my own inner voice to get a few things done.

But things move quickly in this house, sometimes too quickly. As I’ve grown older, all I want to happen is for time to slow down. I want time to smell the roses, take the trip of a lifetime, and write a book in a week! And it seems to be speeding up the older I get which to me seems very, very odd.

I mean, I schedule my time to the minute some days. Others I couldn’t even tell you what day it is or what time of day. I can tell you I’ve had my head in one of my worlds and I have no contact with my real one. So I know that on days I’m writing, I lose track of it all and sometimes have to ask more than once if I have the right day or time.

My father once told me that when he reached 65 that things just started to blur together. He remembers the things from when he was younger better than what had happened a week ago. Birthdays were just another day and holidays, well, those just didn’t seem to matter much anymore. He’s 76 this year and told me if I wanted time to slow down, I needed to enjoy it more.

And here I thought I was having the time of my life! LOL! Yes, I am enjoying my writing career and the other things in my life like my children, grandchildren and husband. I’m not necessarily enjoying getting older but nothing I can do to stop that one unless I build a time machine. Mmm…maybe a future project…LOL!

Now, I’m going to write something here that I have found to be true and I’m wondering if anybody else has noticed the same. When I was young, I just couldn’t wait for time to pass. I wanted to get older, I wanted to be able to make my own decisions and I wanted to know what those older people seemed to know. Time just moved so slowly and it seemed as if I would never get there.

Today, it’s all fast and I don’t want to miss a thing.

How each of you feel about time and how it affects your life? Just let me know and you’ll get an extra entry put into the hat!

Till next week…

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lynn,
    It's funny because when I was a very young teen I thought "why can't I be 18 and have done with it,I want to get on with life etc. God knows I hit 21 and actually cried because I thought about how old I was getting. I can still see my husband laughing and asking what I was going to do at 40 ? lol. But I actually enjoy my older age now, everything moves a lot slower(including me) lol lol and I can stop and smell the roses, enjoy the laughter I hear from my kids and grandkids.And best of all, hope I taught my kids all the good things they would need to be good human beings filled with compassion and a sense of humor to get them through the rough times and be good parents themselves. I'm happy to be able to read as much as I want for as long as I want.I'm content at this point in my life. If we don't make ourselve
    stop momentarily to smell those roses and enjoy our kids if even for 10 minutes we lose that time and can't get it back. :)
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    I know what you mean. I just wanted to be old so I could be on my own. Now when I look back I wonder why I was so stupid sometimes. But that's hindsight for you. LOL!

    My kids completely amaze me sometimes. They are both good boys even though they drive me crazy. They have a zest for life that both the DH and I gave them. I'm proud to call them mine.

    Thanks for stopping by today! I know your time is precious and the few minutes you spend with me are wonderful!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete