Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday's Writer ~ @Nina_Croft #NinaCroft #DeathDefying

Today I'm chatting with author Nina Croft! Join me in welcoming her to Wednesday’s Writer. Welcome, Nina!

Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they? My latest release is Death Defying, book 3 in my Blood Hunter series. The series is a combination of science fiction, paranormal and romance. It follows the adventures, romantic and otherwise of the crew of the space ship, El Cazador de la Sangre or The Blood Hunter. 


Here’s the blurb:

Captain Tannis of the starship El Cazador is part snake, part human, and—according to some—all bitch. She is one job away from her lifelong goal—to achieve the immortality she craves. The assignment: protecting the most powerful man in the Universe.

After five hundred years, Callum Meridian, founding member of the Collective, is bored out of his mind. Until he realizes he’s physically changing—into what, he isn’t sure. Callum is determined to discover the truth, but his own people will stop at nothing to prevent it from coming out.

With a coup brewing and the crew of El Cazador close to tossing him off the ship, Callum turns to Tannis. Sparks fly as they work together to make it out alive. But can Callum really trust the one woman hell bent on using him? Defying death has never been more dangerous, more sexy, or more fun.


What can we expect from you in the future? I have a contemporary romance, Out of Control, part of Entangled Publishing’s Brazen line, coming out in March. And then in the following months, books 4, 5 and 6 in the Blood Hunter series will be releasing.

How do we find out about you and your books? Check out my website and sign up for my new release newsletter.

Why did you decide to write romance novels? I’m a strong believer in writing the sort of things you love to read and I love reading romance.

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing? Very little. I love to make things up!

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first ms? I’ve always been an avid reader for as long as I can remember and a huge fan of romance ever since picking up my first Mills and Boon when I was around eleven. I used to think what a fabulous thing it would be to be an author and spend my days writing down the stories in my head. But I only really started writing when I spent a number of years working as a volunteer in Africa. I was living in a remote village in Zambia, with no electricity, no television, no internet and hardly any books. I started writing as a means of entertaining myself. I’ve written on and off ever since, but started to seriously study and learn and submit when I moved to a remote mountain in Spain and again had no electricity, no television and no Internet (things are a little more civilized now!) I submitted my first ms soon after moving here. Now I love writing and can’t imagine my life without it.

Generally, how long does it take you to write a book? The actual writing of the first draft takes about a month. I give myself a daily word count, usually 2000 per day if I’m writing category and 3000 a day if it’s single title. Of course, the plotting takes time beforehand and the editing afterwards.

Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow? I’m very unorganized and undisciplined so I usually give myself a schedule, otherwise I get nothing done—I’m really good at procrastination. I’ll have a long-term schedule for when I want to submit a story but I also try to do a daily to-do list as well to keep me on track.

What kind of research do you do? Very little – I like making things up –it’s one of the reasons I love writing speculative fiction.

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book? I don’t have a single favorite author; I read in most genres and my favorites tend to change day by day. I love Laurell K Hamiilton, Patricia Briggs, JR Ward for paranormal. Frank Herbert for Science fiction, Susan Elizabeth Phillips for pure romance. Ann Bishop for fantasy. And so many more…

If I had to recommend one book right now, maybe Ann Bishop’s Black jewels Trilogy. I’ve just read it for the third time and still love it.


Among your own books, have you a favorite book? Favorite hero or heroine? Probably my Blood Hunter series as they are so much fun to write. They came about after I’d been watching my favorite TV show, Firefly, for the third time, and decided I wanted to write a space opera. But I’d also been going through a stage of writing contemporary and was in need of a paranormal fix. So I decided to write about vampires in space. I’m working on book 6 in the series now and still loving it.

Break Out also has my favorite of my heroes. Ricardo Sanchez is the stunningly gorgeous, two-thousand year old vampire and pilot of the space ship El Cazador de la Sangre.


Leather or lace? Leather
Black or red? Black
Satin sheets or Egyptian cotton? Cotton
Ocean or mountains? Ocean
City life or country life? Country
Hunky heroes or average Joe? Hunky
Party life or quiet dinner for two? Dinner for two
Dogs or cats? Dogs…and cats

I love pizza with . . . lots and lots of cheese.
I'm always ready for . . . wine.
When I'm alone, I . . . read or write.
You'd never be able to tell, but . . . I’d have actually made a very good assassin.
If I could time-travel I'd . . . visit the future.
I can never read enough books because . . . I’m not immortal.


Dessert ~ ice cream
City ~ London
Season ~ Summer
Type of hero ~ Alpha bad ass
Type of heroine ~ Kick ass!

Buy LinkAmazon Barnes & Noble
Price: Kindle - $0.99 Paperback - $5.39
Genre: Accessible Science Fiction
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Release Date: 2/24/14


Excerpt: 

He released his hold on her and stepped back. Tannis pushed her heavy lids open to find Callum watching her, head tilted to one side. His expression was blank; she had no clue what he was thinking. Then he gave a slow smile, and her heart rate picked up. Her legs were shaking, and she locked them. She’d never known her body could feel like that, could react like that.

He remained silent, and she bit her lip. Then coughed, opened her mouth, and closed it again. She had no clue what to say. Tearing her gaze from his, she peered around and realized they were still in the corridor outside her cabin. She’d lost all track of where they were.

If anyone caught her canoodling with their client, she would never live it down. Luckily, the corridor was deserted.

She licked her lips and took a deep breath. “Would you like to come in?” She nodded at her door.

He shook his head. For a moment, she didn’t understand, and then he took another step back as though distancing himself.

“I honestly never meant for anything to happen tonight,” he said.

“You didn’t?”

“I just meant to make sure nothing happened with anyone else.”

Her eyes narrowed, and his lips twitched.

“I was trying to give you some space.” His hand came up to touch his lip and he winced as though at a memory. “I decided you needed time to forgive me, before I tried again.”

“I’ll never forgive you.” That was the goddamned truth, but she wasn’t sure forgiveness was what mattered anymore.

“Well maybe not forgive but at least see past what happened. Then I thought a kiss wouldn’t hurt, and we both got carried away. But I’m guessing this whole sex thing is new to you, and I don’t want you coming back later and claiming I took advantage of your innocence.”

“I am not innocent.”

“No? Maybe not innocent in some things, but I’m guessing that’s the first orgasm you’ve ever had.”

She so didn’t want to be here right now. Her hands fisted at her side as she fought the urge to punch him in the nose.

Been there. Done that.

She was supposed to have moved on. But he was infuriating, and she wasn’t used to holding back. “Look, if you’re not coming in, maybe you’d better piss off. Go practice your Mr. Nice Guy disguise on someone else.”

“I will. If I practice enough maybe it will sink in. Anyway…” He nodded at her door. “When this is over, ask me again.”

Where’s your favorite place to hang out online? Facebook

Where can your readers find you?




Bio

Nina Croft grew up in the north of England. After training as an accountant, she spent four years working as a volunteer in Zambia, which left her with a love of the sun and a dislike of 9-5 work. She then spent a number of years mixing travel (whenever possible) with work (whenever necessary) but has now settled down to a life of writing and picking almonds on a remote farm in the mountains of southern Spain.
Nina writes all sorts of romance often mixing in elements of the paranormal and science fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment