Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday’s Austria Scoop ~ @oddlynn3 #LynnCrain #AWriterInVienna #PCers


Hi Everyone!

Yes, I’m horribly late but this is a week that is rare for me. I actually have people here from the US and that makes me excited. Yeah, sure, they’re actually here for a meeting in regards to my husband’s job but along the way, I’ve become good friends to many of them. And for that I’ll be forever thankful.

But to be honest, this past week in Austria has been boring. And I’m not saying that just because there was nothing to do but more in relation to what was going on. This is one of the few weeks where there isn’t a festival of some sort and that’s because school started on Tuesday.

However, the days have been cooler and I’ve slowly got back to where I even wanted to do things. Like long walks. So, on Sunday we finally got to walk through city center and all around the old part of Vienna. This is one of my favorite things to do as the streets are narrow and you’re never quite sure what you might find.

Another thing that we noticed during this long walk was that the leaves from certain trees were falling off. Many were on the ground and we’re wondering just how the trees are going to fare for the winter since they are dropping them way too early. I’m pretty sure it was because of the massive heatwaves we’ve been having for much of July and August. Now, that’s changed but it’s much too late to reverse the damage to the trees.
Leaves at Resselpark

Leaves around the Brahms statue

We also noticed a wonderful display at Resselpark in Karlsplatz. It didn’t take long for my eyes to tear up as I walked through gazing with wide-eyed wonder as I lived a second time something very important. The world has changed greatly since I was born but one of the greatest changes came when I was in my early thirties because the world as I had known it was suddenly gone.

Communism's Fall

Pictures from the Fall of Communism in Europe Exhibit
My husband had direct exposure to some of the events as he ended up stuck in Germany for 6 weeks as they, mean Russia, tried to decide the route it was going to take. And that’s a lot of what the exhibit was about. The fall of the Berlin Wall and the events leading up to the end of Communist Europe. It was a stressful yet exciting time as we negotiated just who was going to end up with nuclear weapons, who was going to rule the now free states and how Europe was going to look afterwards.

Informative Exhibit about the Fall of Communism in Europe
I can say, I think they turned out pretty good. For that I am grateful as I am allowed to cross borders easily and see places it quickly. My husband was in Europe during that time and he definitely likes this place much better than before. We both didn't realize until seeing the pictures just how much had gone on while we were young. It all came to a head when the Berlin Wall came down but had been stewing for many years prior. 

Hope you enjoyed this little look into Austria and beyond. See you all next week!


Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment