Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday's Writer with M.S. Kaye ~ @mskosciuszko #XOWedWri


Today we have the wonderful M.S. Kaye with us. Please join me in welcoming her to XtraOrdinary Romance.

Tell us about your latest book, including its genre. Does it cross over to other genres? If so, what are they?

Fight Princess is a romantic suspense novel about a high society princess who fights in an underground ring.

What can we expect from you in the future?

Once is under contract with Jupiter Gardens Press. It’s an inspirational women’s novel about a young woman who falls for a man about to enter the priesthood.

How do we find out about you and your books?

http://www.BooksByMSK.com has a page devoted to each book.

Why did you decide to write romance novels?

That’s the genre the stories that pop out of my head fit into.

How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?

Quite a bit, actually. Sometimes I don’t even realize it until my husband points it out. He especially loves all the little inside jokes (In Once the male pov character teases that you can’t trust women whose name ends in Y. He gives several names as an example, including Missy. I HATE to be called Missy.)

When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first manuscript?

I started writing one night when I was watching a writer interview where she was talking about how she’d come up with the idea, and I realized I had an idea, that I’d had it for a while. I grabbed a notebook and started writing, and I haven’t stopped for four and a half years, every day.

Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?

Depends on the length, but a 3-4 months, generally.

Where do you start when writing? Research, plotting, outline, or...?

First, I have to find that one tidbit about the story that will drive me. For Fight Princess, it was the concept of a polished, educated young woman who beats the hell out of people in an underground fight ring. I had only the character, nothing else. Then I built the story around her.

How do you come up with ideas?

I see or think of snapshots of unique people or circumstances and build a story around that.

What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels? Do you find them difficult to write?

Sometimes I find it difficult to decide how far to go with them. I generally keep from being too graphic and focus on the sweetness, rather than all the “bits.”

What kind of research do you do?

Google is the most wonderful invention.

What does your husband/wife/significant other think of your writing?

He’s always supportive of everything I do.

Do you ever ask him/her for advice?

When I’m writing a male character, I’ll ask what’s realistic from a man’s perspective.

Do you have a favorite author? Favorite book?

Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Who are some of your other favorite authors to read?

John Steinbeck and J. K. Rowling

Are you a member of any author groups - RWA, critique groups, etc.?

Florida Writers’ Association. I also run the FWA Clay County Critique group.

What do you think of critique groups in general?

Love them, as long as the atmosphere is correct—be open, leave your ego at the door, be supportive, and remember it’s all advise (ignore it if you wish).

How many books have you written, how many have been published?

Ten. Two are under contract.

After you've written your book and it's been published, do you ever buy it and/or read it?

I love to read my own books—because I love the stories and characters.

What are the elements of a great romance for you?

A strong woman and a strong man who wants to protect her, even though she doesn’t need to be protected.

Are you in control of your characters or do they control you?

Both.

Have you experienced writer's block? If so, how did you work through it?

I believe writer’s block is a myth. It’s just a combination of exhaustion and lack of passion.

What do you enjoy most about writing?

Writing those moments that make your heart race, make you cry, or make you go “holy sh**!”

If you weren't writing, what would you be doing?

Something much more boring.

Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

Write for yourself, not everyone else. If you’re passionate about the story, your readers will be as well.

A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?

Many Tales from Few Travels

If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

I’m quite until you get to know me. Then I say the craziest, most random sh**.

What is your secret guilty pleasure?

If I tell you, it won’t be a secret anymore.

If you were stranded on a tropical island, who would it be with? You can choose any living, deceased or mythical figure.

My husband.

Can you describe the funniest thing that ever happened to you?

Too many to choose from—I taught kids for almost 15 years.

Tell us about the scariest thing that ever happened to you.

I had to tell my husband that his father had died in a car accident.

If you were on a reality show, what one would it be?

I’m too much of a control freak to be on a reality show.

What question would you love to answer that I didn't ask?

You asked a lot of questions—I can’t think of any more. :)

Leather or lace? lace
Black or red? black
Satin sheets or Egyptian cotton? cotton
Ocean or mountains? either
City life or country life? either
Hunky heroes or average Joe? Hunky Joe
Party life or quiet dinner for two? quiet
Dogs or cats? cats
Dessert ~ cheesecake
City ~ Koln, Germany
Season ~ winter
Type of hero ~ hunky Joe
Type of heroine ~ kick-ass sweetheart

Buy Link: www.LSBooks.com
Price: $5.99
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Liquid Silver Books
Release Date: 9/2/13

Excerpt:
Things aren’t what they seem. Don’t get involved.

Celisse is too headstrong to listen. Her best friend’s boyfriend is dead, and she does not heed Cullen’s warning, slipped to her in a note as he’s being arrested for the murder.

Cullen tries to keep Celisse out of danger and also tries to avoid her, both unsuccessfully. He can’t deny his feelings for her anymore, but he knows he can’t have her. If she ever discovered the truth about his past, she’d surely hate him.

While struggling with her intense feelings for Cullen, Celisse uses her skills as an ex-prosecutor to investigate, all while continuing to fight for Ogden, the organizer of an underground fight ring. She eventually realizes things are connected—the ring, Ogden, Cullen, the murder, and herself. She races to uncover the truth before she’s arrested or becomes the next victim—or perhaps, the next culprit.

Where can your readers find you?


M. S. Kaye has won several writing awards and has been published in literary journals. She is a 4th-degree black belt and certified instructor of Songahm Taekwondo. A transplant from Ohio, she resides in Jacksonville, FL with her husband, Corey, where she does her best not to melt in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment